Family Friday: May 2

Last weekend, I took a four-day trip to Kauai with Laura and her mom.  That means that Johnnie and Cameron (and Dulce) had some wonderful daddy-daughter bonding time!


They even went on some dates out for dinner! 


There was big excitement when a Hawaiian Monk Seal decided to sleep the day away on the beach right in front of our house!  This the second time Johnnie has seen a seal on our beach and I've missed it both times.  This is the first time that Cam got to see one and she was really excited!  I am so glad that they got to watch it sleep, roll around, and then shuffle its way back into the ocean.  I am also very glad that our sweet neighbor was out watching it with them and took lots of photos that she shared with me!




While our guests were here, we went to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet where I saw a hammock chair that would go perfectly on the empty hook hanging from the ceiling above our deck.  The vendor told me I wouldn't find a better deal anywhere ($90) so of course I went home and ordered one on Amazon (which included pillows and free shipping) for less than half of his price.  The chair was waiting for me when we returned from Kauai.  It is amazing.  Cameron loves it as much as I do!


This is my happy place.  I am so thankful for every day we spend living here.


A couple days after returning from Kauai, we said good-bye to our guests.  Laura was here for three weeks and was more like a roommate than a guest.  She worked on her computer for eight hours a day so there was no change to our life at all and I appreciated the help and company when she wasn't working.  Cameron had a great time with Laura and her mom and searched every room for them often for a few days after they left.

I got out my painting supplies last week and painted some beach rocks for no particular reason other than feeling crafty and the fact that painting, coloring, and doodling are things that soothe my mind.


I have a bad habit of not putting things away when I'm done so after looking at the painting supplies on the table for a few days, I decided to let Cameron have some fun with them.  And no, I still haven't put them away... maybe tomorrow :)

This is the first time Cameron has ever used any kind of paint - who needs finger paints when you can start with acrylics?  The paper she painted on is Canson Acrylic Paper which is heavyweight, textured, and doesn't buckle when wet.  I think she had more fun mixing the paints on the palette than actually painting the paper.  I had a container of baby wipes next to me that easily cleaned up any misplaced paint on her or the floor around her.


Not bad for a her first painting masterpiece at almost 20 months old!  I see a bird flying in the upper right corner, breaking free from turmoil.  Genius!  Of course every mother thinks their child is a genius, right?  :)  I will definitely get the paints out periodically to watch her art develop.  When I was in grad school, my final project for an instructional technology class was creating an interactive computer program that taught about the stages of artistic development in children.  Therefore, I know what to expect with children's art and it will be so much fun to see it develop in real life!


My weekend getaway to Kauai was fantastic and rejuvenating.  Time away (even if it's just to a store alone) is important for any stay-at-home mom because it's the only time you can truly turn off your mind from the constant go-go-go mode of mommyhood.  Life here is quiet but always busy.  I am enjoying the days alone with my girls for another week until more guests arrive.  Our time in Hawaii is limited so it's best that family visits while they can!




*******
"Every day you are alive is a special occasion.
Every minute, every breath, is a gift from God."
~Mary Manin Morrissey

No comments:

Post a Comment